Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Most Regulated Province In Canada.

Quebec?  I don't have time to write this article but I certainly would like to read it.  Which province has the most regulations and red tape?  My guess is Quebec though I only have anecdotal evidence to back up my perception.  Is there a measure we could come up with to fairly compare provinces and cities in terms of the legal hoops businesses have to jump through?  Can we measure government intrusiveness into our personal lives?

This should contrast nicely with Maclean's front page expose that Quebec is the most corrupt province in Canada.  Critics have said that there hasn't been a fair comparison between other provinces, so lets compare them.  I would also like to see a measure of corruption.  How corrupt are our cities and provinces and how do they compare to each other?

My Guess is that Quebec will win both distinctions.  Most corrupt and most regulated may very well correlate to each other.  More ridiculous rules mean more people will not care to follow them.  This could breed a culture of backroom under the table dealings that don't stop at small time rule braking.  If you want people to follow the law, the law had better make sense.

Call it gateway corruption.  It starts with some ridiculous ordinance that is selectively enforced and it ends with cash stuffed envelopes.   

This is my theory.

Any enterprising journalists or bloggers care to test it?  If you don't you'll have to wait until I get around to writing it myself.  Please be fair.  I love Quebec and I don't want her unfairly tarnished.  Its important to acknowledge a problem if you want to solve it.

Meanwhile the Bloc strong armed parliament into a bill outside parliament's jurisdiction.  Free speech is not negotiable no mater what the HRC or the HOC thinks.  Sad and pathetic.  Would they do this for Alberta?  I think not.  Alberta should not be spared either.  Everyone should say what they have to say and its the merit and logic and veracity of those statements that shall be judged.  Its not important how offensive a statement is.  Its only important that it is true or false. 

I will be renewing my subscription Maclean's now as well.  They need the money to fight for free speech.  I let my subscription lapse through the summer but its time to renew.  Get your copies here.

2 comments:

The_Iceman said...

The biggest mistake they made was taking a vicious uncalled for shot at the beloved Bonhomme Carnaval. I don't think Chantal Hebert would have been as pissed off if Jean Charest's face was on the cover.

Hoarfrost said...

I don't much care how "Msr.Bonhomme" is characterised, however unfair that may be to some.

I have done official government directed business as an Anglo in Quebec and I have done official government business through some "pur laine" Quebecois intermediary. Although it was minor business, in the general context, it was very enlightening how non business considerations dominate "dans la classe functionaire vis a vis les tetes carres".

I personally like Quebecers generally. I remember one businesswoman there being astounded when I said "If the rest of Canada and Quebecers cannot get along, then, what is the hope for the rest of the world". She quickly concurred.

I have also heard much anecdotal evidence of official corruption since my first business trip to Montreal in the 1960's. I have heard even more since then in Montreal, Trois Riviere, Chicoutimi, Quebec City and in the Gatineau.

In the old days the other area where I became aware of political corruption was in the Maritimes when it came to patronage.

In Newfoundland, corruption was even worse than Quebec. Joey Smallwood was the worst of all and even more obvious than Quebec from personal knowledge. Maybe that will make the innocents in Quebec feel better but not too much.

Post a Comment